Teeth are Food Tools, Not Power Tools
The enamel on your teeth is one of the hardest substances in your body. But that doesn’t mean you can use it as your own personal tool.
People do wild things with their teeth. This includes biting off price tags, ripping open potato chip bags, or even opening bottles. Crazy, right?
Your tooth enamel is a protective coating. And while enamel may be tough, your teeth are not abuse-resistant. Be kind to your pearly whites! Use them for chewing and speaking, not as power tools!
Nature has assigned teeth with just three tasks—cutting/chewing food, helping you pronounce words, and smiling. They’re definitely not supposed to bite nails, open plastic bags/bottles, or rip objects apart.
It’s very tempting to use your teeth for all these chores. But doing so can really damage your teeth, sometimes permanently.
Chips and cracks on your teeth can be very painful and may lead to permanent damage (or need for extraction)! For some people, chewing on objects like pencils or fingernails is a hard-to-break habit. However, you can stop. Check out these ideas on how to stop biting your fingernails.
Some other ideas to help you keep your teeth for chewing:
• Ask someone to remind you every time they catch you using your teeth inappropriately
• Try chewing on sugar-free gum for distraction
If you still can’t stop using your teeth as tools, talk to your dentist about your habit. He or she may be able to recommend alternative practices.
Through our renewed sponsorship with Packers Radio Network, for every Green Bay Packers sack, Delta Dental of … Read More
On June 12th and 13th, individuals and families unable to access care in a traditional dental home … Read More
Many parents have questions when it comes to the need for braces and orthodontic care for their … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 6 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 8 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 9 4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions 3 Likes
- 10 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments