Special Olympics Wisconsin: Special Smiles for a Special Cause
Delta Dental of Wisconsin is all smiles this summer – Special Olympics Wisconsin is back and ready to go for the gold!
Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) is a statewide organization providing athletic training and competition for individuals with intellectual disabilities. SOWI continues to focus on the health of the people it serves, and with the help of Delta Dental Wisconsin, dental health can be a focus too.
In 2002, SOWI sought the help of Delta Dental of Wisconsin to create the Healthy Athlete’s Initiative, which provides screening programs including the Special Smiles program. Special Olympic athletes are given a free oral health screening, fluoride varnish application, education on the importance of good hygiene, and if appropriate for the sport they are participating in, a free mouth guard. In addition, those needing dental care are helped to find a dentist in their area. Delta Dental is proud to partner with Special Olympics on these screening programs offered at both the summer and winter games.
Special Olympics Wisconsin would not be possible without the generous efforts of volunteers, coaches, families, and most importantly, the athletes.
Want to catch the action this summer? Visit specialolympicswisconsin.org to learn more.
When a baby tooth falls out, the Tooth Fairy flies in for her pearly white reward and … Read More
Middle-aged adults are finding themselves financially “sandwiched” between two generations: their children and aging parents. This dual … Read More
There is more to brushing your teeth than keeping those pearly whites clean and healthy—you can also … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes