Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth
A recent Delta Dental study of 15,000 consumers indicated that more than 55% of respondents would change their dentist in order to lower their monthly premium.
And it’s not limited to dentists; this trend has been seen in the general health insurance market too.
Why? It’s simple – cost.
Our research shows that when given a choice, consumers would accept a slightly lower annual maximum, forego optional coverage, or cost-share on services that occur less frequently to save money. Our business experience and historical data confirms this. In fact, one of the most significant cost-drivers of a plan’s premium comes from covering very infrequent services at a high coinsurance.
However, these options are sometimes not discussed or addressed due to a presumed fear of consumer dissention with having to change dentists.
So, what do these trends in consumer preference mean for dental benefits and the insurance industry?
We think it could be as simple as having a conversation with your agent or Delta Dental. Instead of plan coverage being replicated from the previous year’s offering, plans should be reviewed more closely to see where savings could be made. Limiting your review to a spreadsheet comparison may not tell you the complete picture. For our example, Delta Dental’s CheckUp Plus™ benefit can’t be measured with this approach. CheckUp Plus™ lets enrollees obtain dental services including routine exams, X-rays, cleanings, fluoride, sealants, space maintainers, and other services without reducing the member’s plan-year individual annual maximum.
Delta Dental of Wisconsin delivers greater effective network discounts. With the strength of our Delta Dental PPO and Delta Dental Premier network providers, our members save money and don’t need to feel limited. If you’re looking for a new dentist, check out our provider search and find a dentist that’s right for you.
What do you think about this new trend? We’d love to hear from you. Leave us a comment below to share your thoughts.
Rick Zupan is the manager of small group and individual plans at Delta Dental of Wisconsin.
On June 12th and 13th, individuals and families unable to access care in a traditional dental home … Read More
Holiday lights are not flickering as bright and post-holiday blues may be setting in, but stick with … Read More
Floss is making headlines, but not in the way we hoped. By now you’ve heard about the … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments