Do Expiration Dates on Dental Products Matter?
Expiration dates for milk and meats are entirely different than those on lotions and lipsticks. With the exception of medication, product expiration dates aren’t federally regulated.
Some dental products have expiration dates and some don’t. Find out what you should retire if it’s expired:
2 years after manufacture date
When your find your toothpaste empty, you rummage through toiletries to find that long lost tube from 2011. It’s not dangerous to use, but after 2 years, flavor and fluoride fade. Not only will your mouth miss out on mint, fluoride won’t stick to your teeth as well as a timely tube. Toss it so your toothpaste can live up to its full plaque-fighting potential.
While its effectiveness is long lasting, mint-flavored flosses will lose flavor after 1 year.
3-4 months of use
An unopened toothbrush never expires. But once in use, it becomes less effective over time. Toss your brush when it starts to fray—about every 3-4 months.
2-3 years after manufacture date
Most mouthwashes contain alcohol, or some other type of antiseptic. Though this is the active ingredient, rinses also have a high water percentage. After 2-3 years that antiseptic starts to dissolve. This leaves mouthwash with even more water, thus increasing the chance for bacterial growth.
When in doubt, throw it out. If texture has changed or it doesn’t look like it should, get rid of it.
Catching up on emails. Taking personal calls. Surfing the web. According to Americans, these are all reasons … Read More
Chef. Chauffer. Teacher. Event Coordinator. Financial Planner. Personal Shopper. What if we told you approximately 66% of … Read More
Take a few minutes and help us honor National Smile Month by looking back at smiles and … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes