3 Things You Could Lose if You Skip Your Annual Dentist Appointment
You just receive the inevitable “Time for Your Checkup!” postcard in your mailbox. But why visit the dentist at least once a year? Or at all?
Just because you (think you) can get away with it, doesn’t mean you should forego your checkup. Skip the dentist and you risk missing out on these three things:
1. A Tropical Vacation
Would you rather pay $100 to fill a cavity and book a year-end tropical trip—or—drop $1,000 to book a year-end root canal? Waiting to take care of small problems creates bigger (and more expensive) issues down the road. Dropping cash is frustrating, but spending hundreds always trumps thousands. And think of what you can do with your leftover cash! Grab your swimsuit, because the average cost of a root canal is $900—the same price of two tickets to Cancun flying out of Milwaukee.
2. A Health Diagnosis
Sun and sand aren’t the only things you risk missing. Your mouth is a window to the bigger picture—your body. Fortunately, your dentist has binoculars. He or she can spot symptoms of dental disease, as well as signs of more serious health conditions.
3. Your Teeth
Tooth loss in the United States is more serious than you may think. Adults lose an average of 7 permanent teeth, and 10% of seniors have ZERO teeth left. What are Americans missing (besides teeth)? States where people skip the dentist also have the highest number of toothless seniors, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. You don’t just wake up one day and have to have all of your teeth pulled. Just like the tortoise, dental disease is slow but steady—and eventually, will win the decay race (if you neglect regular care).
Now that we’ve encouraged you into regular dental checkups, remember to practice at-home brushing and flossing. Don’t skip the dentist and you won’t miss out on a healthy smile—or any other perks!
2014 is coming to a close – we’re only a few short days away from the New … Read More
From first wiggles to gap-toothed giggles, losing teeth is a mouth’s coming-of-age story. Baby teeth falling out … Read More
August can be a big time of the year for children going back to school — but it’s … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes