What Wisconsin Winters Can Do To Your Teeth
Just like your teeth can be sensitive to ice cream, cold temperatures can also impact your smile. But is it the season bringing on your sensitivity, or does the problem lie elsewhere?
Dentin is tissue that makes up the core of your teeth. If dentin is exposed, you’re more likely to experience sensitivity and pain. The enamel on the crown of your tooth covers dentin. As enamel wears away or is damaged by tooth decay, dentin becomes vulnerable and more receptive to pain and temperature changes.
…Or Something Else?
Winter weather isn’t always to blame. Periodontal or gum disease can also be the root of your sensitivity. When your gums separate from your teeth, they form a pocket. Bacteria can arise in that area and damage the tooth’s support system. It also can create pain and irritation.
• Brush gently, at least twice a day
• Floss at least once a day
• Eat acidic foods in moderation
• Drink hot, cold, and acidic beverages through a straw
• Use whitening agents with caution
• See the dentist regularly
Try a desensitizing toothpaste to lower discomfort.
If you regularly experience tooth sensitivity, ask your dentist about the issue. And stay warm this winter!
Although gum disease can be easily avoided, it’s still one of the most common oral diseases affecting … Read More
Are you responsible for managing your company’s benefits? Maybe you’re an HR professional for a large corporation, … Read More
Many young children go through a stage where they become extremely choosy about what they eat. Though … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 2 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 3 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 4 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 5 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 6 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 7 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 8 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 9 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 10 4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 26 and Uninsured: 5 Options After You Age Out Your Parents’ Plan 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments