Teeth and Tax Season
As the tax deadline draws near, take a moment to ensure you get all of your entitled deductions.
Remember that dental expenses are treated like medical expenses. You can itemize medical and dental costs if they exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income (for most people). So, if you’re itemizing a large medical bill, make sure to account for any dental work completed in the past year as well.
According to the IRS, “prevention and alleviation of dental disease,” is included in medical deductions.
What do you get to deduct?
- Diagnostic and preventive treatment: Services such as dental exams, X-rays, teeth cleanings, sealants, and fluoride
- Restorative treatment: Services such as fillings, extractions, dentures, crowns, and root canals
- Orthodontics: Braces to realign the teeth
- Mileage to your dentist for you and/or your dependents
What can’t you deduct?
- Cosmetic procedures, such as teeth whitening cannot be deducted.
Remember – you can’t double dip. If you used a Flex spending account to pay for your treatment, you can’t claim that on your taxes.
Confused? Watch this short video from the IRS’s YouTube Channel.
If you have 2014 dental care deductions, please note this article is not specific to your personal financial situation. Please seek professional advice based on your particular circumstance.
Family, fellowship, and food are just a few of the reasons why we love Thanksgiving. When the … Read More
Wisconsin is fortunate to have one of the most comprehensive school-based sealant programs in the country. Delta … Read More
The holidays are over, but the chilly winter weather is still going strong. Sledding, skating, and building … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Why We Dig Gardening 3 Likes
- 6 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 8 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 9 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 10 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes