Smartphone Selfies May Help You Brush Better
Of the 6 billion people on the planet, 4.8 billion have a cell phone, while only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush. If you own both (and we hope you do), recent research tells us these 2 necessities can be mutually beneficial. But how?
Selfies. As the 2013 word of the year and nearly 300 million hashtag uses on Instagram alone, the “selfie” puts you in control—as both photographer and subject. Selfies can help make you aware of your best angle on camera and with your toothbrush.
In a 2016 study, researchers wanted to see if filming brush sessions via smartphone selfies would have any impact on technique. Over the span of a few weeks, participants recorded 5 toothbrushing selfies in the comfort of their own home.
Here’s what the researchers found:
• Participants seemed to have fun while filming themselves, thus making an otherwise mundane task more enjoyable.
• Because they could see themselves brushing, participants were more self-conscious about their toothbrushing “form.”
• Though their brushing duration didn’t change, researchers saw an overall increase in number of strokes and an 8% improvement in skill.
Though this study was the first of its kind, the authors predict selfie-style brushing may have the power teach an old dental routine, well, new tricks. Perhaps a video-based app that records brushing and then sends it to dental professionals for feedback. For now, try sharing a selfie at your next appointment to see if your dental team has any constructive criticism.
Not ready to shoot selfies for a teeth-cleaning critique? Here’s how to brush correctly.
Every year on March 20, more than 100 countries unite for World Oral Health Day to celebrate … Read More
You’re probably wondering how to keep the party fun for the kids, and low-stress for you. The … Read More
Our dental insurance series continues! Once you’ve mastered the basics through our 101 Infographic, you’re ready to … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes