Smart Swaps for #TacoTuesday
74% of Americans cite Mexican as their favorite cuisine. This Americanized favorite doesn’t have to be so sinful. Many foods that benefit our bodies also benefit our teeth, so healthy eating can help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Make the most of your favorite Mexican dishes with these get-fit recipes:
• Smile-Friendly Salsa
Surprisingly, salsa is more popular among Americans than ketchup. The flavorful condiment can benefit your teeth…if you make it without enamel-harming acids.
1 large tomato
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 small onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, diced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until slightly chunky.
• Top-It Taco Bar
Say adiós to refried beans. Consider adding veggies for more flavors. The calcium and phosphorus in veggies and lean proteins help keep a healthy mouth.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or lean protein of your choice)
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil.
2. Once pan is warm, brown chicken in pan.
3. Add taco seasoning and water. Stir until thickened.
4. Top with Smile-Friendly Salsa (recipe above)
What are you favorite healthy Mexican dishes? Share yours in the comments!
While many adults loathe blowing out birthday candles each year, we think you should embrace your age. … Read More
Get the facts about your oral health by subscribing to our blog! Teeth. What more is there … Read More
Our mouths need professional cleanings. Plaque and tartar buildup happens over time, kind of like how a … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments