Smart Swaps for #TacoTuesday
74% of Americans cite Mexican as their favorite cuisine. This Americanized favorite doesn’t have to be so sinful. Many foods that benefit our bodies also benefit our teeth, so healthy eating can help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Make the most of your favorite Mexican dishes with these get-fit recipes:
• Smile-Friendly Salsa
Surprisingly, salsa is more popular among Americans than ketchup. The flavorful condiment can benefit your teeth…if you make it without enamel-harming acids.
1 large tomato
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 small onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, diced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until slightly chunky.
• Top-It Taco Bar
Say adiós to refried beans. Consider adding veggies for more flavors. The calcium and phosphorus in veggies and lean proteins help keep a healthy mouth.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or lean protein of your choice)
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil.
2. Once pan is warm, brown chicken in pan.
3. Add taco seasoning and water. Stir until thickened.
4. Top with Smile-Friendly Salsa (recipe above)
What are you favorite healthy Mexican dishes? Share yours in the comments!
The Delta Dental Mobile App has been redesigned allowing you to keep your dental benefit information in … Read More
Ask most Wisconsinites how they keep warm during the cold winter months and many will tell you … Read More
Although the rate of tooth decay has decreased for most Americans over the last 40 years, tooth … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes