Protecting Generations of Smiles: A Look at Seal-A-Smile
Tooth decay is an epidemic among children living in low-income households, due to a lack of accessible dental care and poor nutrition. According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 60% of all U.S. children will have a cavity by age 5. And tooth decay is nearly 100% preventable.
We have made it our mission to improve oral health and wellness across the state.
That’s why we’re proud to be a part of the Wisconsin Seal-A-Smile program, a collaborative effort between Delta Dental of Wisconsin, Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin, and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services’ Oral Health Program. Seal-A-Smile provides school-based dental sealants to children statewide. The program targets schools with greater numbers of at-risk children.
Sealants are a thin plastic coating that dentists and dental hygienists apply to the chewing surfaces of back teeth. Sealants provide an extra shield of protection on surfaces that are most likely to get cavities. Their application is simple, but the results are powerful. According to Oral Health America, 75% of sealed teeth remain cavity-free.
During the 2014-15 school year, Seal-A-Smile sealed and protected the smiles of more than 25,000 children living in Wisconsin, ensuring healthier smiles for generations to come.
In 1973, cosmonaut Yuri Romanenko developed a toothache while on a 96-day mission to the International Space … Read More
Wisconsin is fortunate to have one of the most comprehensive school-based sealant programs in the country. Delta … Read More
Are you responsible for managing your company’s benefits? Maybe you’re an HR professional for a large corporation, … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 8 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 9 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 10 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes