Oral Health Advantages to Practicing Yoga
The practice of yoga is on the rise. 36 million Americans regularly roll out their mats to reap the health benefits of yoga including improved flexibility, focus, strength, and stress relief. Among the lengthy benefits list are some lesser-known oral health advantages. Find out how yoga can help you namast’ay smiling:
Yoga may reduce jaw pain.
Poor posture is one of the main perpetrators of muscle pain. And slouching causes our heads to fall forward and out of line with our spine. This triggers discomfort in your jaw, and can affect your bite over time. Jaw pain has been linked to TMD or temporomandibular disorder, an issue that impacts your ability to eat, talk, and sleep. Yoga poses can improve posture, thus taking strain off of your jaw.
Yoga can help stimulate saliva.
Yoga poses that incorporate proper breathing techniques can stimulate saliva, according to a 2013 study. Saliva is important because it washes away bad bacteria you accumulate in your mouth. Saliva production fights foul breath and decreases your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
Yoga eases inflammation.
When you’re stressed, your body produces more of the hormone cortisol. Mouth bacteria can cause gum inflammation, but chronic stress can worsen this swelling. This harmful compound also increases your risk for gum disease. Because yoga is a proven stress reliever, researchers believe this reduces inflammation in the body—including in your teeth and gums.
If you’re having oral health issues, talk to your dentist and see if yoga can ease your pain.
After 248 episodes, 2,950 experiments, 1,050 myths, and 900 explosions, MythBusters is coming to a close, but … Read More
A thorough dental routine can help prevent expensive dental procedures, but sometimes, dental care can be costly. … Read More
“Can I schedule an appointment?” “You’re a dentist office, right?” “Where are you located?” We’ve heard it … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments