MythBusters: Dental Insurance Edition
After 248 episodes, 2,950 experiments, 1,050 myths, and 900 explosions, MythBusters is coming to a close, but we’re just beginning! There’s a lot of misinformation about dental benefits. We’re channeling our inner Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to debunk five common dental benefits myths:
1. Myth: I have health insurance, so dental care is covered.
It may seem odd, but oftentimes health insurance will not cover dental procedures. Dental and health benefits operate in different ways. The two may cross paths during the course of your lifetime but often times it is one or the other. For example, the oral surgery anesthesia services may be covered under your medical insurance whereas your oral surgery may be covered by your dental benefits.
2. Myth: My teeth are healthy, so I don’t need dental coverage.
3. Myth: I can’t afford dental insurance.
Though it’s true financial stress is the number one reason people opt out of dental coverage, insurance doesn’t have to break the bank. Learn what plan fits your needs and budget.
And it’s worth it! The cost of restorative care far exceeds the cost of preventative treatment.
4. Myth: I can see any dentist I want now that I have dental benefits.
Though you’re free to see any dental provider you please, your insurance may not cover treatments if a dentist is out-of-network. Find a network dentist before your schedule your appointment. Extra cost savings can be realized when you choose a Delta Dental PPO provider.
5. Myth: Dental insurance covers all treatments and procedures.
Insurance is designed to save you money, but there’s no such thing as free coverage. Before you head to the dentist, make sure you understand what your benefit plan covers by reviewing your summary plan description or requesting a predetermination of benefits.
If expecting women in Wisconsin are anything like their national counterparts, roughly 42.5 percent of them are … Read More
Our dental insurance series continues! Once you’ve mastered the basics through our 101 Infographic, you’re ready to … Read More
We want to expand access to dental health care, and we want YOU to be a part … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Why We Dig Gardening 3 Likes
- 6 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 8 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 9 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 10 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes