Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show
Whether it’s ham, hens, or good ol’ fashioned turkey, meat shines as the holiday table showstopper.
Not this year! Meat, step aside for sides. It’s time for these dishes to take center stage.
Here is our definitive ranking of traditional dishes — all featuring tooth-healthy twists for a festive feast. Warning: Nostalgia will occur.
5. Green Bean Casserole
Side to Serve: Clean Green Bean Casserole with Parmesan Crumb Topping
Star Quality: The creamy classic gets a clean makeover with this lip-smackin’ casserole. Crunchy veggies like green beans increase saliva flow and gently scrub teeth. Plus, they’re full of fiber, low in calories, and high in nutrients.
4. Mac and Cheese
Side to Serve: Sweet Potato and Brie Mac & Cheese
Star Quality: It doesn’t get much more festive than these 2 holiday favorites! Sorry turkey. It’s not you, it’s Brie. Brie is good for your dental health and contains probiotics – beneficial bacteria that can help your immune and digestive systems.
3. Cranberry Relish
Side to Serve: Cranberry-Orange Relish
Star Quality: Recent research found evidence that cranberries contain compounds that may disrupt the plaque formation process. However, these rosy wonders do contain sugar — remember to brush after relishing in your homemade relish.
2. Mashed Potatoes
Side to Serve: Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Star Quality: Do the mashed potatoes right this year. This recipe uses cauliflower instead of potatoes (you won’t be able to taste the difference). This kitchen chameleon is tasteless, so it easily takes the place of its high-calorie counterparts.
Side to Serve: Wild Rice Stuffing with Toasted Pecans
Star Quality: This particular recipe is packed with protein, thanks to the toasted pecans. And if you’re worried about your carb count, try this version that will leave you breadless.
Do you agree with our rankings? Tell us your favorite holiday sides!
Did you know that Delta Dental of Wisconsin offers an easy way to check your patient’s benefits … Read More
Many young children go through a stage where they become extremely choosy about what they eat. Though … Read More
Dual Coverage: Coverage Under More Than One Dental Plan It’s not uncommon for people to have coverage … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 2 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 3 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 4 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 5 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 6 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 7 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 8 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 9 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 10 4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions 3 Likes