Kid-Friendly Recipes that Contain Secret Vegetables
Nutritious food choices help lay the foundation for good oral health. But if you have young kids, you know that every night can turn into fits about food. Fruit can be friendly (thanks, natural sugars), but broccoli and green beans tempt tantrums. Try flipping their favorite foods with veggies into the form of chips, pizza—even french fries!
Help your kids go crazy for cauliflower—without even knowing it. Its naturally crunchy texture stimulates saliva, preventing plaque buildup. Cauliflower is also high in vitamin C and vitamin K, minerals that strengthen bones and teeth.
• 1 head cauliflower, sliced
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• 1 cup low-fat cheese
• Toppings of choice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the cauliflower, spices and oil together in a bowl. Place on a baking sheet in one even layer, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Once golden, remove from the oven and top with cheese. Place in oven for another 5-7 minutes.
Add your favorite (healthy) toppings, like guacamole and fresh salsa.
Zucchini is a smart choice for your smile. It’s filled with calcium and vitamin C; minerals that strengthen tooth enamel and promote healthy gums.
• 1 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/3 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
• 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 6 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rack with tinfoil and place on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Dip zucchini in flour, submerge in eggs, and then dip in breadcrumbs. Press down to coat. Place zucchini on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Garnish with parsley and give it a go with that picky eater.
If you’re a pizza-loving family, try this alternate cauliflower crust. This Friday-night-friendly recipe requires very little hands-on-time. We hope your family loves it as much as we do.
• 1 head cauliflower
• ¼ cup low-fat parmesan cheese (finely grated)
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese (finely grated)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Break up the cauliflower into florets and place in a food processor. Pulse the cauliflower until it becomes a fine powder, about 10, 2-second pulses. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and heat covered until soft, 4-6 minutes. Once cooled, place in a clean towel to wring out the moisture.
In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, egg and mozzarella. Place the mixture onto a baking sheet and gently press into a 10-inch round, baking for 12-15 minutes.
Top the crust with low-sodium pizza sauce and your favorite healthy toppings (bonus points for more veggies!). Bake for another 10 minutes.
Is your family hungry for more healthy food swaps? Satisfy their smiles with these recipes.
Dental benefits can be complex – monthly premiums, annual maximums, deductibles, and more leave you with a … Read More
Considering a career as a dental hygienist? As one of the fastest-growing jobs in America, there are … Read More
Thanksgiving marks the unofficial start of the holiday season, as well as the busiest travel time of … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes