Get Their Braces Off Faster: 3 Tips for Parents
If you’re a parent to a child with braces, you’ve seen the struggles firsthand: Braces make it difficult to speak, eat, and take care of teeth. A brace-wearer’s daily dental routine requires patience and consistency. Even though proper care can be a pain, it’s crucial if kids want to get rid of their wires.
Here are 3 tips to help your teen or tween get their braces off – and as soon as possible:
1. Break bad habits.
Common reasons for loose or broken brackets include fingernail biting, chewing on pencils or pens, and eating sticky snacks. Remember: the more kids damage their braces; the longer they have to wear them. Help your children break bad oral habits and their smile will benefit.
2. Eat soft and small.
The truth is, biting and braces just don’t mix. Hard foods are tough on teeth and tend to get stuck between braces. Loose food particles can create bacteria and can eventually turn into plaque. Hard foods aren’t completely off-limits, however. Remind teens to cut them into bite-sized pieces and brush afterwards.
Stick to soft staples as much as possible. If crunchy snacks like crackers and apples are some of your child’s favorite flavors, make hard favorites soft. Top a casserole with crumbled crackers or bake homemade apple bread.
3. Don’t take shortcuts.
Remind kids why their teeth routine is crucial. If they follow the rules, a brace-free smile is in their future! Make sure they:
• Keep elastics on (except during meals and snacks).
• Brush and floss thoroughly.
• Don’t skip appointments – they will pay off soon!
74% of Americans cite Mexican as their favorite cuisine. This Americanized favorite doesn’t have to be so … Read More
Teeth whitening is a multibillion-dollar business. While whitening agents are effective and safe in moderation, they’re not … Read More
Cannonball! From workouts to water slides, pools provide endless hours of splashes and smiles. It’s no secret … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 6 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 8 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 9 4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions 3 Likes
- 10 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments