What Can One Dental Cleaning Get Rid Of?
Our mouths need professional cleanings. Plaque and tartar buildup happens over time, kind of like how a ceiling fan collects dust. Consistent dental care creates a healthy smile over time, but what can just ONE cleaning get rid of? A lot.
1. Surface Stains
Even if you brush regularly, plaque sticks around in the form of tooth stains. Hygienists use prophy pastes—ones that can remove 35% more stains than at-home brushing. Dental professionals choose pastes depending on patients’ needs. Their rubber cup toothbrush is softer than commercial versions, balancing out the toothpaste’s abrasiveness.
2. Hard Plaque
If you haven’t had a cleaning for quite some time, you may have spots with hardened plaque—also known as calculus. Calculus is too hard to be removed by tooth brushing alone. Hygienists must use periodontal scalers to remove calculus buildup.
3. Bad Breath
Concentrations of odor-causing bacteria dropped 50% after one professional cleaning, according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Periodontology. Like plaque, bacteria like to hide in your mouth’s hard-to-reach areas. Less oxygen reaches those spots, making them dry (and stinky). A cleaning removes deposits on teeth that harbor bacteria. But if your breath is consistently bad, your dentist can help identify the underlying condition.
Though a single dental cleaning isn’t an instant solution, one appointment can make a powerful impact.
Picture perfect days call for outdoor time. Time to slap on the sunscreen! Surprisingly, 63% of sunscreen … Read More
Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings that protect against plaque. Applied to back teeth, sealants fill and … Read More
April 12th-18th is National Library Week. This year’s theme is, “unlimited possibilities at your library.” Grab your … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments