What Can One Dental Cleaning Get Rid Of?
Our mouths need professional cleanings. Plaque and tartar buildup happens over time, kind of like how a ceiling fan collects dust. Consistent dental care creates a healthy smile over time, but what can just ONE cleaning get rid of? A lot.
1. Surface Stains
Even if you brush regularly, plaque sticks around in the form of tooth stains. Hygienists use prophy pastes—ones that can remove 35% more stains than at-home brushing. Dental professionals choose pastes depending on patients’ needs. Their rubber cup toothbrush is softer than commercial versions, balancing out the toothpaste’s abrasiveness.
2. Hard Plaque
If you haven’t had a cleaning for quite some time, you may have spots with hardened plaque—also known as calculus. Calculus is too hard to be removed by tooth brushing alone. Hygienists must use periodontal scalers to remove calculus buildup.
3. Bad Breath
Concentrations of odor-causing bacteria dropped 50% after one professional cleaning, according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Periodontology. Like plaque, bacteria like to hide in your mouth’s hard-to-reach areas. Less oxygen reaches those spots, making them dry (and stinky). A cleaning removes deposits on teeth that harbor bacteria. But if your breath is consistently bad, your dentist can help identify the underlying condition.
Though a single dental cleaning isn’t an instant solution, one appointment can make a powerful impact.
Between the thrills and fears, hockey parents’ feelings go head-to-head. From the excitement of a slap shot … Read More
The practice of yoga is on the rise. 36 million Americans regularly roll out their mats to … Read More
The holidays are over, but the chilly winter weather is still going strong. Sledding, skating, and building … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 6 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes