5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Adding Dependents
Need to add a dependent to your dental insurance? Ask yourself these five questions first:
1. What is my current plan design?
If you currently have an individual plan, you may need to switch to a family plan before you’re able to add any dependents. Log in to learn your plan details.
2. Who should be the policyholder?
If both you and your partner are covered under two separate plans, consider which one best accommodates your health and financial needs.
You should also check if your plans have the coordination of benefits (COB) provisions, which “coordinates” both plans to maximize your dental benefits.
3. Are my dependents eligible?
As defined, a dependent is “a person who relies on another for financial support.” When it comes to insurance, this generally refers to a spouse, children under 26, and family members with a disability.
4. When can I enroll my dependents?
Outside of open enrollment, dependents can be added to a plan during a special enrollment period, usually 30-60 days after a qualifying life event. These events include, but are not limited to losing coverage, getting married, and having a baby.
5. How much will it cost?
When adding a dependent, you may notice a change in your deductible and premium. If you’re insured through your employer, talk to your human resources department to understand the costs to you.
Have questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us.
The holidays are over, but the chilly winter weather is still going strong. Sledding, skating, and building … Read More
Some items are easy to recycle: Old books make great additions to your local school. Hand-me-downs can … Read More
Many people think of camping as a way to escape our technology-obsessed world. While that’s true in … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Why We Dig Gardening 3 Likes
- 6 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 8 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 9 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 10 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes