4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions
You may be searching for every possible write-off possible this tax season. And if you were healthy in 2015, you might be able to deduct extra expenses. That’s right—certain dental and medical-related procedures and programs can be tax deductible.
Here are four healthy habits for possible tax deductions:
• You took care of your teeth. Preventive dental treatments such as cleanings, sealants, and fluoride are tax-deductible. Extensive eligible treatments include fillings, braces, and dentures. Check the full list of potential write-offs.
• You made your appointments. Did you feel like you were constantly trekking to wellness appointments in 2015? You may be able to claim your travel costs for dental and medical care. This includes public transportation, mileage, tolls, and parking fees.
• You quit smoking. If you participated in an IRS-approved program to stop smoking, you may be able to deduct the cost of your medical expenses. Patches, gum, and other over-the-counter methods aren’t eligible.
• You lost weight. Weight loss programs may be tax-deductible as long as they’re related to a specific condition, such as hypertension or diagnosed obesity.
But how do you determine if your medical and dental deeds meet the IRS’s expectations?
• Your total dental/medical expenses must exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income.
• If you are over 65 years, your dental/medical expenses must exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
If you have further questions, inquire with your tax consultant. And if don’t have one on speed dial, many public libraries offer free tax prep help. Contact you local branch for more information.
We want to expand access to dental health care, and we want YOU to be a part … Read More
Picking the perfect Halloween costume for your kids can be a struggle. Do you want them to … Read More
We know gardening is great for your mind, body and soul, but did you know it can … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 2 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 3 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 4 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 5 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 6 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 7 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 8 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 9 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 10 4 Healthy Habits That Qualify for Tax Deductions 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 26 and Uninsured: 5 Options After You Age Out Your Parents’ Plan 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments