How the 3D Industry is Innovating Dentistry
How many times have you been to the dentist’s office and had to bite down on what feels like wax to get an imprint? What about visiting the orthodontist only to endure a mouth full of flavored impression putty? Thankfully, between scanning and printing, 3D is a trend that’s here to stay (and make your visit more enjoyable).
3D scanning uses a small hand-held device that is temporarily placed inside the mouth to capture digital images of your pearly whites. This process reduces time in the dental chair, and allows you (the patient) to visually conceptualize what the dentist sees.
Printable Pearly Whites
Thanks to breakthrough technology, 3D printers may give dentists the power to print a tooth. First, 3D scanners capture digital images of your existing teeth. The scan can then replicate the bite through 3D printing. This process will eliminate the need to take impressions of your teeth to make models that accurately reproduce your bite. Most recently, the 3D printing process has also been used to make medical-grade dental tools.
3D technology uses less material and expedites the process of making X-rays, retainers, mouth guards, crowns and more. 3D intra-oral scanning creates a high-quality digital impression with lifelike colors in real-time.
Not all dentists have access to 3D scanning and printing, but who knows what the future holds? Learn more about trends in teeth tech.
Many people think of camping as a way to escape our technology-obsessed world. While that’s true in … Read More
The first nylon bristle toothbrush was put on the market less than 80 years ago. That means … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments