3 Pregnancy Tips You Weren’t Expecting
Back pain, morning sickness, fatigue, hunger — it’s hard to know exactly what to expect when you’re expecting. Your teeth may seem secondary to other symptoms, but they matter more than you realize. Here’s how to keep your smile healthy throughout your pregnancy:
Your hormones aren’t the only things changing.
The same pregnancy hormones causing you to sob during a Sarah McLachlan commercial affect your teeth too. Increased estrogen and progesterone levels multiply dental plaque. Because of a surplus of the sticky stuff (bacteria), many women are prone to get pregnancy gingivitis. It’s characterized by inflammation of the gums, swelling, and tenderness. Plus, studies consistently link periodontal disease to pre-term and low-birth-weight babies.
You’re brushing for 2.
Your baby’s teeth start to grow as early as 3 months into pregnancy. Make 2 smiles and 2 bodies strong — eat a balanced diet filled with calcium, phosphorous, protein, and vitamins A, C, and D. Eat healthy and your baby’s kicks will feel more like a high five.
You need to have more than an ultrasound.
Add a dentist visit to your new nursery and gender reveal party plans. A dental check-up may not be top of mind, but it’s a key to a healthy pregnancy. If you’re newly expecting, bring your baby-to-be belly to the dentist. A routine cleaning will keep your smile on-track.
Prepare your smile for pregnancy with our other mom-to-be blogs.
Access to dental care for low-income individuals in rural Wisconsin is getting a needed boost through the … Read More
School is out for summer! From family road trips to sports and sleepovers, kids have the freedom … Read More
Clean teeth and superior dental health are obvious benefits for children receiving regular dental check-ups. However, when … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 6 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 7 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes
- 8 How the Olympics are Making Athletes Champions of Oral Health 3 Likes
- 9 Dental Fellowship is a Plus for Wisconsin Residents 3 Likes
- 10 Leftover Candy Conundrum: What to Do with Extra Halloween Candy 3 Likes
- 1 Free Dental Clinics Help Wisconsinites Smile 4 Comments
- 2 Patients Unwilling to Switch Dentists Proved a Myth 2 Comments
- 3 Looking for a great quote? Check the details 2 Comments