26 and Uninsured: 5 Options After You Age Out Your Parents’ Plan
Birthdays often mark major milestones: Driver’s license at 16, voter registration at 18…
…and getting kicked off of your parents’ health insurance at 26.
Prior to blowing out your 26 candles, health insurance was probably not top-of-mind. That may be because your parents’ coverage probably made things easy.
It’s time to take charge of your health and declare your independence! It’s important to have health and dental insurance, even if you don’t get sick very often.
It’s time to birthday shop for some options:
2. Employee Health Benefits
If your job offers health insurance, you’ll likely have 30-60 days to enroll after you lose your parents’ benefits, even if it’s not during an open enrollment period.
If your parents’ plan included dental coverage, but your current job doesn’t, look into getting your own individual plan.
3. Private Health Plans
Individual benefit plans may not be as expensive as you think. Price out your options and develop a savings plan. You may have to make some tough choices, but you’ll stay covered and healthy.
4. Government Health Plans
5. Catastrophic Plans
We know, we know. You’re in your mid 20s – you rarely get sick! But that doesn’t mean life is accident-free. Adults under 30 can enroll in a catastrophic health insurance plan that covers worst-case scenarios.
As an emerging adult, insurance might seem like just another bill to pay. But the cost is too high not to have it.
You have your whole life ahead of you – get covered today!
Dental benefits can be complex – monthly premiums, annual maximums, deductibles, and more leave you with a … Read More
Quality dental care is essential for a child’s well-being. Research shows cavities are the single most common … Read More
You’ve got mail! What could it be? It came from an insurance company, so it must be … Read More
Sign Up Now
- 1 5 Hilarious Requests From Kids to the Tooth Fairy 6 Likes
- 2 4 Things You Need to Know About Wisdom Teeth 5 Likes
- 3 Safe Smiles for Young Bucks! 4 Likes
- 4 One Rule No One Should Break 4 Likes
- 5 Why We Dig Gardening 3 Likes
- 6 Better off Friends: 3 Ways to Break Up with Your Sugar Addiction 3 Likes
- 7 Dental Insurance 102 [INFOGRAPHIC] 3 Likes
- 8 Sack Plaque is Back with the Green & Gold 3 Likes
- 9 Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: Detection Can Start at the Dentist 3 Likes
- 10 Move Aside, Turkey: 5 Sides that Steal the Show 3 Likes